Friday, March 23, 2012

Quick Takes (20)



--- 1 ---
Why hello there!  I'm still alive.  Sorry it's been so long since I blogged.  Life has been busy, busy, busy.  Here's a little bit of what's been going on.  First of all, dad was here visiting for 9 days. It was wonderful!  This was the longest, consecutive number of days I've spent with him since I moved out of the house to go to college 15 years ago!  Thankfully, I was on Spring Break for most of the time he was here and was able to free up most of my schedule to be at home with him.  He got to see a taste of our daily life with our weekend veggie pick-ups and visits to a few of our favorite local spots.

--- 2 ---
No more blue bedrooms!  The main goal of his visit was to tackle painting for the baby's room as well as another room next door.  Because everything in each of the rooms was blue (textured ceiling and walls, doors, trim, and closets), he and DH had to use 2 coats of primer and one coat of paint just to cover it all!  It was a 4 day project for them.  I tried to help as much as I could...dad and I prepped the rooms, bought the supplies, etc. but I did not do any of the painting (even though it was low-VOC).

--- 3 ---
After the painting was completed, dad and I assembled the crib.  I can't believe we have a crib set-up and nursery furniture in our house.  It still seems like a dream to me.  (I'll post pictures of the paint job in a separate post.)

--- 4 ---
We also tried to have a little fun while dad was here, but he was such a workhorse doing projects every day.  He even cut up all the big cardboard pieces from the furniture, so we can take them to the recycling center in our small cars.

--- 5 ---
We taught dad how to order from Amazon while he was here.  Remember, it was just 2 months ago that he bought an iPad, got his 1st email account, and started using the internet on his own.  He's now entered the world of online shopping, which is so funny and ironic because it's my mom who has an addition to shopping, spending money, and hoarding.

--- 6 ---
While he was visiting, I realized how many similarities I have with my dad- from my eating habits to my perfectionist ways to even the things I say.  My DH noticed it first and starting pointing the things out to me.  It's pretty amazing to me since I only see him a few times a year and makes me think a lot of it might be genetic rather than influenced from the environment.

--- 7 ---
I've decided contractors and sub-contractors are some of my least favorite people (after politicians).  Last week, we signed a contract to have work done in our basement and it has turned into a headache.  Out of the last 8 days, work has been done one full day and 3 partial days (2 hours or less).  I mean, seriously, can they work much slower?  Do they not want to get a paycheck?  We were told an estimated time frame of 3 weeks to finish, and it's already been over a week with not much progress (in my opinion).  I'm starting to freak out about it all since baby is due to arrive in 6 1/2 weeks (or less).  Given the male-dominant culture we live in, I've decided to let DH try to work things out with the people because he gets a much better response than I have.  Still, I really feel like the evil one is attacking me through this experience and stealing my joy from these last few weeks of the pregnancy.  I realized all of this while I was driving home from work today and just said out loud, "get behind me, Satan! I will not let you rob me of joy and happiness at this moment."  We'll see if that worked!

Happy weekend, everyone!

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

8 comments:

  1. I am so glad you posted. Can I just say, I love your Dad. He can be our baby's grandfather too!

    And, no he doesn't have to do any work over here. Just going out to breakfast together...that'll be enough for us.

    I hear what you say about things being genetic.

    But, I also am JUST LIKE MY MOM and I am adopted.

    When I came back from college, I met a few of her friends who had never met me while I was away and they were blown away by how we were so alike!

    Pictures please!

    Dying over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LJ- ha, ha. You crack me up. Your comments always make me smile. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see pics of the rooms! Glad you had some qual. time with your Papa. My wonderful FIL is a general contractor (mostly he paints) and he often has more than one job site active, so he'll work one place for a few hours and then go to the next one etc. to keep all projects moving. I have no idea what type of contrators you're working with, but if they're self employed, it could explain why they're delayed. I hope it gets finished soon though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have experienced that type of work for a few hours a day, but I'm talking about them saying we need to clear out our laundry room because they're starting drywall the next day between 9 and 10 and then not showing up or calling the entire day! That is not acceptable. Now our washer and dryer is sitting in our family room and it's the weekend...grrr.

      Delete
  3. How great to have good, quality time with your dad! I haven't lived at home in a LONG time and I am very much like my dad (with sprinklings of my mom). As I get older I notice more and more similarities.

    Pictures please!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful gift from your dad! i'd say focus on that rather than the contractors. It'll get done. So frustrating though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been a busy lady! I am sorry about the contractor situation but it will all work out eventually. I am so glad you got to spend so much time with your father. I am such a Daddy's girl and LOVE having my father around.

    You are so close to meeting your beautiful baby! You have been in my prayers a lot lately. I hope these last few weeks go by perfectly :) God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boo contractors. :( But hooray for wonderful dads! Like PW, I too am a daddy's girl. :)

    ReplyDelete