Monday, October 15, 2012

"Whom Shall I Fear?"

I was driving to work this morning when God spoke to me through music on the radio.  He does this often.  I'm not sure why He so frequently chooses to speak to me in the car, but maybe it's because I'm focused on the words of the music (and the road, of course).  My mind is usually thinking about a lot, and I almost always have the one Christian radio station in town on because I know I need to fill my mind with positive thoughts during my drive time.  I'm never in the car long (10-15 minutes thanks to small town life), yet often have powerful encounters.

Today was no different.  DH recently got a call officially offering him the job in ATL.  Even though we knew this was most likely coming, until he received the official call, we could just pretend like it was a long ways off and we didn't have to make any decisions.  Now that he's been offered the job, we DO have to decide if we're moving or not.  It's not some far off decision.  It is here and now.  And while we're waiting to receive all of the paperwork and detailed compensation package, we've already begun talking about where we feel God might be leading.

So I was in the car today thinking about the potential move and all that would be involved.  In particular, I was thinking of having to say goodbye to all of the people I've built relationships with here the past 9 years.  This is the longest I've lived any where since I was young at home growing up. 

I was thinking about pulling out of the driveway for the last time and saying goodbye to our home.  That may sound weird, but this home has so many memories.  It was our 1st home we lived in as a married couple and now that's been 7 1/2 years.  It was our 1st home with a nursery.  The home we brought Baby R in to.  It's already filled with so many memories in just that short time.

I was thinking about R never knowing the place she was born.

I was thinking about having to start over with every thing...a new home, new church, making new relationships, new doctors, new this, new that, etc.

And it was all a little overwhelming and emotional. 

And just as I turned off and was getting ready to park at my building, I heard this new song by Chris Tomlin, "Whom Shall I Fear?"  I sat in the parking lot until it was over, and thanked God for speaking to me so clearly today.

You hear me when I call
You are my morning song
Though darkness fills the night
It cannot hide the light
Whom shall I fear?

You crush the enemy
Underneath my feet
You are my sword and shield
Though trouble linger still
Whom shall I fear?

I know who goes before me
I know who stands behind
The God of angel armies is always by my side
The One who reigns forever
He is a friend of mine
The God of angel armies is always by my side

My strength is in Your name
For You alone can save
You will deliver me
Yours is the victory
Whom shall I fear?
Whom shall I fear?

And nothing formed against me shall stand
You hold the whole world in Your hands
I'm holding on to Your promises
You are faithful
You are faithful


The chorus is what really struck me: "I know who goes before...I know who stands behind..." God.  God is the One who goes before me to pave the way should we decide to move.  God is the One who stands behind me to support me in the decision making process.  There is no reason to fear.  There's no reason to fear the decision that we make, and no reason to fear the future.

And with that, I got out of my car and went to teach, vowing to look up that song as soon as I got home.  I had a feeling it might become my theme song for the coming weeks.  The bad news is since it's a new song, it's not available on iTunes yet and the album doesn't come out until January.  Bummer.  But I wanted to share, nonetheless, in case someone else is struggling with fear of the future.

4 comments:

  1. I love this. I love the idea of God paving the way ahead and who stands behind to support us. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Prayers as you move forward in your decision making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those ordinary turned extraordinary moments. Hoping your decision is a clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about moving and trusting God. My DH has been threatening with moving us and I get so stressed out about it and angry. I guess I know where he wants to move us and I REALLy don't want to live there but really I should be a little more faithful...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love songs / days / times when you know it is God speaking to you and comforting you. As you said, it gives you relief that He will take care of you no matter what.
    Prayers going up for you as you make this decision.

    ReplyDelete