Homes: I have an update I've been mulling around in my head regarding the home we put an offer on. It's an experiential faith lesson for me at the moment, and I'm still learning/processing it all. Let me process a bit more before updating. Sorry to leave you in suspense!
Video monitor: It seems like every day I kick myself for not getting a video baby monitor. We settled for a baby monitor that we loved when R was little (it had a motion sensor under the mattress that would go off if she stopped breathing). I could sleep easier at night not worrying about SIDS as much, but we no longer use the sensor pad. And with all her activity in the crib lately, I'd love to see what she's doing (the other day she got her shirt half off). Plus, I think it would be helpful to see what she's doing as I think about night weaning at some point, and helpful to see when she starts trying to climb out of the crib because I have a feeling that will be coming soon and I'd like to prevent direct falls on the head if possible. So do I give in and just spend a few hundred on a new video monitor or ride this out??
Thunderstorms: I've forgotten what it's like to live in a place where you have to take cover during weather warnings! We were spoiled in our previous home where severe storms were few and far between. Yes, we had snow, but lightening, strong winds, and tornadoes were rare occurrences. I still don't understand why all homes don't have basements around here.
Hard times a'coming: We're soon entering a time of summer where I must face several challenges from DH being out of town, to spending time with my mom (our relationship is extremely strained), to travel with a super active toddler, to a climate I don't enjoy, etc. I'm trying to make realistic expectations for myself given all that is coming up and am praying already for peace, safety patience, and kind words.
Heat and humidity: I hate it. DH hates it. We knew we wouldn't like living in the South for this reason. I might just hibernate to the kiddie pool for the next 3 months. If you don't hear from me, its because I'm in the water and staying away from electrical items while wet. Our rental home does not get cool. The A/C seems to run constantly from 2:00 onwards and that can be with the air set at 80 degrees. It's hot overnight. The humidity makes our house smell like a combination of wet dog and mustiness. We are so ready to find our own place and move. Sorry for the whining.
Email responses: I'm terrible at responding to emails. What is wrong with me? I love getting mail in all forms (email, snail mail, etc.) And I love sending mail as well. But lately, my in box just keeps getting fuller and fuller and fuller. I can't put together many emails of coherent length at all. And I just think about how far behind I am in the email department. What is with the pokey little puppy approach to my email responses?
And now I'm off to find some "cool" somewhere. Oh what I wouldn't give to have a 70 degree day around here and I'm not talking about 70 at 3am! Enjoy the weekend.

We love our video monitor. I don't know if you could find one used or wait for a sale or something? But we love ours and if we ever have another child we can just buy a camera and switch between the two and watch both kiddos.
ReplyDeleteI hope you find a place to live that doesn't smell like wet dog! I think that down south the soil/water table makes basements expensive so they build on a slab to make it cheaper. But I could be wrong. Will be praying for you on #4!!
How about trying to find a video monitor secondhand, either at a local shop or ebay? And for the humidity in the house, get a dehumidifier. When I bought my house in Atlanta, the owner left one, and I was AMAZED at the amount of water it would pull out of the air. Buckets full!
ReplyDeleteUgh! I'm with you that I hate heat and humidity. Though sometimes a little humidity would come in handy. And some rain with our wind and lightening. But beyond the weather stuff, I hope you are able to find a place that feels like home soon!
ReplyDeleteI hate humidity too! IMHPFP's suggestion of a dehumidifier is a good one! I don't know how people lived way back when without any kind of air. I would not be a good pioneer. :) And don't feel bad for "whining" ... I am always super grumpy when I'm hot too ... so I completely understand wanting to be cooler ... especially at night.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait for a house update! As we are thinking of buying, I was thinking of you and wondering how things were going.