Sunday, March 6, 2011

Compassion International

Recently the hubs and I decided to sponsor a child through Compassion International.  Compassion is a Christian organization dedicated to providing the basic physical and emotional needs to children in impoverished countries.  The idea is that through the Compassion program the children would be released from their lifestyles of poverty.  Since it's a Christian organization, Compassion works through the local churches to bring hope.  They have a presence in 26 countries- from Central and South America to Asia and Africa.

Ever since I was in college I've wanted to sponsor a child through Compassion but never did.  Perhaps it was the monthly financial commitment that scared me off or the long-term commitment (through the child's age of 18-22).  Each child in the program is matched with one sponsor and I didn't want to back out once I started a sponsorship, so I never started.....until recently. 

In January, we sat down and updated our monthly budget for 2011.  Once we were done updating our projected income and expenses, we found we had a small amount left over each month, so we decided to try out a sponsorship on an older child, which would mean a commitment for just a few years instead of his/her whole childhood. 

There are numerous children waiting for sponsors, so how could we decide on just one?  I have a passion for Asia and Central and South America since I've traveled and/or lived in those places and seen how God is working there.  Africa, on the other hand, has not sparked my interest as much, and I have to admit, I don't feel as called to pray for Africa as I do other places, so that's what we went with- an older child from Africa.  We narrowed it down even further by choosing a child according to birth date, and we selected the due date of our first baby that I miscarried.  I had always thought it was a girl, and there was just one girl with that same birth date, so we selected her.

After we made the decision and paid our first month of sponsorship, I was so excited.  I really didn't think about it much at the time we were deciding, but later I thought about how cool it was that God was bringing good from our bad situation of the first miscarriage.  Without that miscarriage, we would not have been led to sponsor this child, and I have such a strong feeling that our prayers and sponsorship are really going to make a big difference in her life.

We received pictures of our sponsor child- a girl from Ethiopia- and just sent off our first letter.  We'll correspond back and forth a few times a year and provide monthly financial support in the hopes that we do make a difference in her life and ultimately, that she comes to know how much Jesus loves her and cares for her.

We are both excited to learn more about her and see how God works through us to touch her life.  Hopefully she'll gain confidence corresponding with us and learn life skills necessary to be successful when she graduates from the Compassion program.  What a cool thing it is to be able to make a difference in the life of one child.  We've added her to our list of nightly prayers- along with our Godson and Goddaughter- and look forward to seeing her end the cycle of poverty.

2 comments:

  1. I actually sponsored a child when I was 16, but my dad made me stop because he didn't think I could afford the $20 a month for it. Haven't done it since, but kudos to you guys for your sponsorship! It sounds like it'll be a positive influence in your lives :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Katie. I think it always feels better to serve someone else than ourselves. Plus, serving another takes our minds off ourselves, which is also a good thing. That's not why we serve, of course, but it is a nice added bonus.

    ReplyDelete