Sunday, May 6, 2012

Meet the Babe

Thanks to everyone who left such fabulous, congratulatory comments.  I feel so loved!  I know many of you have been dying for a picture, so here's one I took yesterday before we left the hospital to come home.  R. was 2 days old in the picture.

I have so many thoughts swirling around in my head...about labor and delivery, how our bodies (yes, even formerly IF, broken bodies) instinctively know how to give birth, how the recovery process is going, mama instincts about her baby, about nursing, about Baby instincts, seeing God's hand through these past 3 days, etc.

But sleep is low at the moment and every day is full of new challenges and things we need to learn through trial and error.  Every baby is different.  Our latest challenges are a gassy baby (she was spitting up lots of amniotic fluid after she was born), how to get her to burp well and get rid of the gas, and then the challenge of feeding her.  Her weight was 7 lb 3 oz when she was born, but when we left the hospital she was 6 lb 7oz yesterday morning and her pediatrician is a little worried.  A few hours after that, my milk came in as if my body knew she needed to put on some weight fast!  Amazing, huh?   We had just gotten the hang of nursing down and then it has suddenly become a new challenge.  Things are engorged and I'm trying to deal with it without pumping yet to see what happens these next 24 hours.

My heart is full and tears finally flowed when DH and I put her in her car seat to take her home yesterday.  I cried the whole car ride home.  It's still unbelievable to me.  Right up until the end, I still wondered if something was going to go wrong, if she was going to have physical or mental health problems, pregnancy still seemed surreal.  So far she is perfect!  I could just sit and stare at her for hours.  I'm truly in awe.  But I know I need sleep to help my body heal (lots of stitches down there, a few 1st degree tears and a 2nd degree one), so I'm off to rest since she's asleep at the moment.  Please know I've been thinking of you- my blogger friends- constantly these past few days.  I wish you were here with me, so I could share the details going on.  I will share her birth story and more in the future, but until then, know you're in my thoughts and prayers.

23 comments:

  1. So glad things are going well, she IS absolutely perfect! Get plenty of rest if you can. :) I know you will figure out all those little things as you go along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so beautiful!! Can't wait to hear more of your thoughts and experiences, but just enjoy this time, and take time to recover. We'll be here when you get a chance to write about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a BEAUTIFUL little girl!! Congratulations again! No worries - get your sleep and we'll all be waiting to hear your story when you have time! Hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!!!! I sobbed all the way home too.....sobbed! :) I was like OH NO THIS RESPONSIBILITY MIGHT KILL ME! LOL

    Work it, Momma, breastfeeding isn't for sissies! :) That almost killed me too!! :)

    I'm not giving advice - but go with your gut even on the weight. Hannah was a slow gainer too and the stress from the ped was awful.....She was never a monster nurser, just like she is not a monster eater. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is STUNNING!!!!!!! I cannot wait to hear the story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!! She is beautiful and sweet. Praying for your motherhood journey. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is so pretty! Congrats again! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The most beautiful girl in the world. And, you are expressing the feeling of having a baby after IF so beautifully too. It is surreal. You did an amazing job. I am just so thrilled for you and can't wait to hear all your deep posts too!!!!

    But, yes, rest when you can. We will be right here with you when you are able to post and we will be seating on the edge of our seats awaiting more news of your precious daughter, your life, your husband, and this most journey to wholeness, love and your vocation.

    Keep us posted when possible. And, know that we are thinking of you everyday.

    Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is SO BEAUTiFUL!!! Looks just like you! Is that reddish tinged hair?!? :-)
    It is SO emotional bringing that baby home. I'll be excitedly waiting for an update ... when you can ... but yes, get SLEEP first! We can wait! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the photo. Maybe this is too much info but I would put hot towels on engorged breasts to let my milk down and just squeeze some out til the fullness was bearable. I never bothered with pumping. It is such an amazing, emotional, sleepless, stressful etc time. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear God, thank you. Rachel is just perfect!

    Hoping you can rest and heal quickly, C.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is gorgeous!!! Praise God for this wonderful blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful!!! Congrats again on your precious miracle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. She is beautiful. Truly a wonderful blessing! She makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. R. is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to hear you are getting some much needed rest and when R. is sleeping, that is the perfect time! Don't rush to post on here, this is a precious time and everything is so new, it's totally understandable that you might be too busy or tired to post. Thanks for keeping us all in your thoughts and prayers, in the meantime, and know that you are in ours as well!
    Oh, and by the way, little R. is simply beautiful!!!!! You and your hubs must be so in awe at the wonder of God!!! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  17. She is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Call me whenever...not like I am an expert, but I feel like I have been thru a war with delivery/recovery/breast feeding and poor sleep!! Maybe I can help ya whenever....even if you need to vent!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love to you and baby R! Praise the Lord for her precious life! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations!!! She looks so much like you!
    -January

    ReplyDelete