***Posting this now as-is since we've already taken a 2nd trip as a family and I haven't posted details about the 1st one. Time to get these posts out of the draft stage!
We were gone Thursday-Monday, and if you remember, this was for an on-site interview for a potential new job for DH. This is a job that came out of the blue. We weren't looking to move; the opportunity was just sort of placed before us. And while we aren't necessarily looking to move right now, there really wasn't a reason to say no to their request for us to come visit. Sure, it wasn't very convenient to travel with an infant, nor was it enjoyable to fly 1,500 miles, but we did it and I'm glad we did. Turns out R is quite the little traveler.
We left Thursday morning, after feeding R, with an hour and a half drive to the airport. She dozed a little bit on the way down, then I put her in the Ergo to walk around the airport. We boarded our flight during the pre-boarding because she was hungry. I was able to nurse before many of the people got on board, and we were able to make sure there was space in the overhead bin for our luggage. The nice thing about the plane was it was 2-3-2 for the seating configuration, which meant I had a window seat with R and DH had the aisle. We were near the back of the plane, so DH could step to the back and rock R when she became fussy. That made the 3 1/2 hour flight much more bearable.
With a full belly, R quickly fell asleep on take-off. Woo hoo! This was working great...until 20 mins. into the flight- she filled a diaper. Stinky! We had to wait until the seat belt sign was off to go and change her. Did you know most planes don't have a changing table in any of the bathrooms?!? I didn't know that. We took a blanket from the airline, put it on top of the toilet seat and attempted to change the diaper. It was a 2 person job. And of course, it was a diaper blowout..complete with a new clothing change as well.
Phew. At least we got that taken care of. She should fall back asleep now, right? Wrong. 30 mins. later we hear that familiar sound....another diaper filled! Off the 3 of us go to the back of the plane to maneuver another diaper change in the teeny bathroom...one person holding the baby and the door open, another changing the diaper. Man. That's a lot of work.
Back to our seats to relax and 30 mins. later...guess what? A 3rd diaper change was needed. Now I realize this blog is dealing with way too much poo lately, but seriously...3 poopy diaper changes on one airline flight was too many for me. I wondered if it was some kind of "you're on candid camera" kind of joke. And surely the people sitting behind us must have wondered what was going on after we got up 3 times with a diaper in hand. I'm guessing it was something to do with the pressure of the ascent because rarely does she have 3 messy diapers a day, and I can't remember ever having 3 so close together. Well, by this point she was getting fussy and not wanting to sleep, so DH took her back to try and rock her to sleep before returning to the seats.
All in all, not too bad for R's 1st flight. We survived, and I'm so glad I had DH along to help.
The flight home was less eventful. She slept for 2 1/2 of the 3 1/2 hours on my lap, so while various parts of my lower extremities were tingling and numb from not moving, it was relatively easy to survive the 2nd flight. The filling of the diaper came on the descent, which meant we were able to change the diaper in the "luxury" of a bathroom on the ground. Ahh...it's the little things.
Next up...her 1st road trip!
We were gone Thursday-Monday, and if you remember, this was for an on-site interview for a potential new job for DH. This is a job that came out of the blue. We weren't looking to move; the opportunity was just sort of placed before us. And while we aren't necessarily looking to move right now, there really wasn't a reason to say no to their request for us to come visit. Sure, it wasn't very convenient to travel with an infant, nor was it enjoyable to fly 1,500 miles, but we did it and I'm glad we did. Turns out R is quite the little traveler.
We left Thursday morning, after feeding R, with an hour and a half drive to the airport. She dozed a little bit on the way down, then I put her in the Ergo to walk around the airport. We boarded our flight during the pre-boarding because she was hungry. I was able to nurse before many of the people got on board, and we were able to make sure there was space in the overhead bin for our luggage. The nice thing about the plane was it was 2-3-2 for the seating configuration, which meant I had a window seat with R and DH had the aisle. We were near the back of the plane, so DH could step to the back and rock R when she became fussy. That made the 3 1/2 hour flight much more bearable.
With a full belly, R quickly fell asleep on take-off. Woo hoo! This was working great...until 20 mins. into the flight- she filled a diaper. Stinky! We had to wait until the seat belt sign was off to go and change her. Did you know most planes don't have a changing table in any of the bathrooms?!? I didn't know that. We took a blanket from the airline, put it on top of the toilet seat and attempted to change the diaper. It was a 2 person job. And of course, it was a diaper blowout..complete with a new clothing change as well.
Phew. At least we got that taken care of. She should fall back asleep now, right? Wrong. 30 mins. later we hear that familiar sound....another diaper filled! Off the 3 of us go to the back of the plane to maneuver another diaper change in the teeny bathroom...one person holding the baby and the door open, another changing the diaper. Man. That's a lot of work.
Back to our seats to relax and 30 mins. later...guess what? A 3rd diaper change was needed. Now I realize this blog is dealing with way too much poo lately, but seriously...3 poopy diaper changes on one airline flight was too many for me. I wondered if it was some kind of "you're on candid camera" kind of joke. And surely the people sitting behind us must have wondered what was going on after we got up 3 times with a diaper in hand. I'm guessing it was something to do with the pressure of the ascent because rarely does she have 3 messy diapers a day, and I can't remember ever having 3 so close together. Well, by this point she was getting fussy and not wanting to sleep, so DH took her back to try and rock her to sleep before returning to the seats.
All in all, not too bad for R's 1st flight. We survived, and I'm so glad I had DH along to help.
The flight home was less eventful. She slept for 2 1/2 of the 3 1/2 hours on my lap, so while various parts of my lower extremities were tingling and numb from not moving, it was relatively easy to survive the 2nd flight. The filling of the diaper came on the descent, which meant we were able to change the diaper in the "luxury" of a bathroom on the ground. Ahh...it's the little things.
Next up...her 1st road trip!
That's a lot of dirty diapers! :)
ReplyDeleteYes, I had the same reaction--that's a lot of poo!!
ReplyDeleteI know! It's like she was storing it up just for the flight. Silly girl.
DeleteOh my goodness, that sounds crazy! Can't wait to hear about the road trip! And I will e-mail you soon about your visit to MN, I definitely think we can make something work out. God Bless!
ReplyDeleteI now know that airplanes = baby poo! Holy cow ... she had it stored up! Sheesh! It is a story for the record books! :-)
ReplyDelete