That's where this blog post is going to be...all over the place, and that's sort of where I feel these days...all over the place. I have been hoping to post for days, but just haven't had the motivation to upload pictures and such. So instead of a few smaller posts, you get them all combined into one.
Colds and ear infections: After our trip to MN a few weeks ago, R returned with a cold. No big deal, that happened after the trip to GA. Nose Frida became our BFF, even though it's probably the grossest thing ever (you suck snot out of your infant's nose through a long tube). We were constantly sucking out all her congestion, and then her cold seemed to be going away and she was getting better. Until one morning (the day after Halloween, to be exact), she woke up screaming. I could just tell she was in pain and nothing would calm her down. Plus, she would hardly open her eyes, which was scary. Off to the doctor's office we went, to learn she had an ear infection, possibly some sort of eye infection going on (as a result of the ear infection?), and maybe even a sinus infection too! No wonder she was in pain. Poor, girl. She had been pulling on her ear some this week, but we chalked it up to teething since she had all the other signs of teething. A few doses of eye drops and an antibiotic later, our energetic little girl is on the mend (except we're already ready to be off the antibiotic as it's messy with her tummy). Talk about major mommy guilt though that I didn't realize something was wrong sooner.
Fermentation: Have any of you done much with ferments? I went to a free class recently that was put on by my crunchy mama local group (that's essentially the name they call themselves). It was so interesting to learn about the various ferments you can do, the benefits they provide to your body, and how your gut health may have an effect on your overall health. There was lots of taste testing going on. Here's one of my faves. The one we tried also had fresh garlic and ginger added to the basic recipe. Use whole carrots and peel them yourself (not baby carrots that have been preserved in choline).
Baltic Amber: I've been researching amber teething necklaces for the little person in our house. She seems to be getting more irritable these days along with pulling on her ears and cheeks, still drooling like crazy, chewing on everything, and now sucking in her bottom lip over her gums all the time. I think teething has begun. I've heard about amber teething necklaces, but there were so many options. I finally just ordered one from Inspired By Finn. They also have a Facebook page where they give out discount codes. Of course, I ordered one evening and the next morning there was a discount code. Go figure.
Anyway, from what I've read, the amber that has the highest level of succinic acid in it (and thus more of the healing/anti-inflammatory properties) is the raw, light-colored, opaque amber. Who knew, right? The polished or semi-polished, dark-colored, clear amber has less succinic acid. These necklaces aren't just for babies; they have adult ones as well. I'll let you know how R's necklace works out; I may be buying one for myself- who knows!
Snow: We woke up one morning last week to a surprise snow fall! I couldn't believe it. I had been up at midnight with R, and it was only raining at that point. I was up again at 5:30 and the rain had turned to snow. We all went back to sleep, and when R woke again, we did what all normal parents do...dressed her in her snowsuit and went outside for photos! We were still in our pjs. We think R liked her 1st snowfall.
I will admit that it did look pretty on the trees looking out our backyard.
And the view down our street towards the mountains was spectacular.
There is just something magical about the 1st snowfall. But still...winter is not at the top of my favorites list for seasons. Maybe GA doesn't look so bad after all.
Leaves: I've been trying to take fun fall pictures of R this week, but she's so uninterested in the leaves or any fun "playing in the leaves" pictures I've tried to do. We take her outside and she goes into this trance like state...just staring up at the sky.
Well, that's about all for now. I have more random updates, but I think I'll post this one and go to bed. Who knows what will happen tonight with the time change and a little one!
Colds and ear infections: After our trip to MN a few weeks ago, R returned with a cold. No big deal, that happened after the trip to GA. Nose Frida became our BFF, even though it's probably the grossest thing ever (you suck snot out of your infant's nose through a long tube). We were constantly sucking out all her congestion, and then her cold seemed to be going away and she was getting better. Until one morning (the day after Halloween, to be exact), she woke up screaming. I could just tell she was in pain and nothing would calm her down. Plus, she would hardly open her eyes, which was scary. Off to the doctor's office we went, to learn she had an ear infection, possibly some sort of eye infection going on (as a result of the ear infection?), and maybe even a sinus infection too! No wonder she was in pain. Poor, girl. She had been pulling on her ear some this week, but we chalked it up to teething since she had all the other signs of teething. A few doses of eye drops and an antibiotic later, our energetic little girl is on the mend (except we're already ready to be off the antibiotic as it's messy with her tummy). Talk about major mommy guilt though that I didn't realize something was wrong sooner.
Fermentation: Have any of you done much with ferments? I went to a free class recently that was put on by my crunchy mama local group (that's essentially the name they call themselves). It was so interesting to learn about the various ferments you can do, the benefits they provide to your body, and how your gut health may have an effect on your overall health. There was lots of taste testing going on. Here's one of my faves. The one we tried also had fresh garlic and ginger added to the basic recipe. Use whole carrots and peel them yourself (not baby carrots that have been preserved in choline).
Baltic Amber: I've been researching amber teething necklaces for the little person in our house. She seems to be getting more irritable these days along with pulling on her ears and cheeks, still drooling like crazy, chewing on everything, and now sucking in her bottom lip over her gums all the time. I think teething has begun. I've heard about amber teething necklaces, but there were so many options. I finally just ordered one from Inspired By Finn. They also have a Facebook page where they give out discount codes. Of course, I ordered one evening and the next morning there was a discount code. Go figure.
Anyway, from what I've read, the amber that has the highest level of succinic acid in it (and thus more of the healing/anti-inflammatory properties) is the raw, light-colored, opaque amber. Who knew, right? The polished or semi-polished, dark-colored, clear amber has less succinic acid. These necklaces aren't just for babies; they have adult ones as well. I'll let you know how R's necklace works out; I may be buying one for myself- who knows!
Snow: We woke up one morning last week to a surprise snow fall! I couldn't believe it. I had been up at midnight with R, and it was only raining at that point. I was up again at 5:30 and the rain had turned to snow. We all went back to sleep, and when R woke again, we did what all normal parents do...dressed her in her snowsuit and went outside for photos! We were still in our pjs. We think R liked her 1st snowfall.
I will admit that it did look pretty on the trees looking out our backyard.
And the view down our street towards the mountains was spectacular.
There is just something magical about the 1st snowfall. But still...winter is not at the top of my favorites list for seasons. Maybe GA doesn't look so bad after all.
Leaves: I've been trying to take fun fall pictures of R this week, but she's so uninterested in the leaves or any fun "playing in the leaves" pictures I've tried to do. We take her outside and she goes into this trance like state...just staring up at the sky.
Well, that's about all for now. I have more random updates, but I think I'll post this one and go to bed. Who knows what will happen tonight with the time change and a little one!
so cute in her snowsuit! And, I'm jealous of your snow! Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThe mountains are beautiful! I agree, the first snowfall is alway pretty; I'm just not ready for it yet.
ReplyDeleteI'll be curious as to how the amber works out. We think my niece may be teething already at not quite 4 months. Anything to make the little ones happy is a good thing!
I have friends who swear by the amber necklaces. Curious to see if it helps.
ReplyDeleteEar infections are TERRIBLE!!! Don't blame yourself for being a bad mother ... not at all! It is so confusing ... they are pulling on their ear because it is an ear ... or because they feel pain ... it is SO hard to know! Luke has had an ear infection (now, probably both ears) for about 3-4 weeks now. Antibiotics haven't helped much, they are just keeping a major infection at bay, I guess. I didn't realize just how common ear infections are and how related to colds they are. Scary and painful! i got a lot of ear infections as a child. Man, they hurt!
ReplyDeleteR is ADORABLE in her smile and snowsuit! Isn't it amazing how fast children teethe? Luke is 7 months and no teeth yet. Just lots of drool. I hope R's teething process isn't painful.