Sunday, May 26, 2013

God's Timing vs. My Own

I've been thinking a lot about God's timing lately.  This was the weekend we were going to move into our new house, or at least that's what we put in the documents when our contract was accepted.  We were supposed to close on Friday, and then the previous owners wanted to have a few days to move all their things out.  We were to get possession of the home tonight and then starting tomorrow, would have been off and running to clean and get the house ready for us to move things in.  Instead, we're having a nice, quiet, relaxed weekend and looking forward to R's 1st time in a swimming pool tomorrow.  A far different scenario than the one that was in my mind for Memorial weekend.

In some ways, I'm a little sad that we're not getting ownership of a home this weekend.  Both DH and I are tired of the rental home we live in.  Now that the humidity has started rising, our home smells like a wet dog.  It's so gross.  The previous homeowners did have dogs, and the flooring here is so old, that it's just retained the smell.  And they did clean the carpets before we moved in! 

The insulation is terrible in the home, the windows are single-pane energy suckers, we've had animals in the attic, leaks and drips in R's room, standing water in the basement, broken doors and garage springs, ants in our dishwasher, cockroaches in every room of the house and the kitchen cupboards, and the list goes on.  I think the problem is the home was vacant for so many years before we moved in, and just hasn't been taken care of.  We are both ready to be in our own place, and it would have been nice to be on the road to making a new place our permanent while we reside in this southeran state.

In other ways, I'm ok that our lives are a little less hectic right now.  It's been nice to not think about the stress of moving and we really haven't been doing much house hunting either aside from looking at the email listings.  I've been accomplishing things around the house and feeling productive getting caught up.  Of course, we are still having major nighttime sleep issues with R, but that's a whole other post for another day (I need your help, y'all).

Back to God's timing.  When we first signed the contract, I remember thinking how perfect the timing of the home purchase was.  We would have had a few weeks to get everything moved in before our 6 month lease ran out on the rental home.  We could have slowly made a bunch of small trips over before DH has to go out of town.  I would have been able to be in the new home while he was away; thus feeling safer by myself than I do here.  And the list goes on. 

Everything seemed to fall into place with us being able to get inside the home and make an offer that same day before they accepted another.  "God's perfect timing" I kept thinking to myself as things lined up nicely in my head to make the move.  Yes, I had my freakout moments with how quickly things happened, but I just kept thinking to myself that the opportunity was God's timing. 

And then things began to crumble and we made the decision to walk away from the home.  We both felt peace about it, but I walked away scratching my head a little bit wondering where was God's timing in it all?  What had seemed so clear to me was no longer the case.  In my mind (my timing), it seemed perfect, and yet I have to believe that God has something better in store for us with a home.  I think about Ephesians 3 (verses 20 and 21, I believe) where it talks about God being able to do immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine.  And I guess that's the idea I'm clinging to right now...a house even better than I can imagine for us to raise R in for these next several years (we're thinking we'll be here 10+ years...maybe).

It's not coming in my timing but in God's.  And while those two timings haven't often lined up- I think about dating, marriage, pregnancy and how I thought I was ready for each years before they actually happened- God's timing does always seem to be the better one once I'm able to look back on it and see the final result.  So I will attempt to trust the One who knows me even better than I know myself.  He is giving us yet again another opportunity to trust Him with the provision of the home.  It's scary for me to not be the one in control, and yet it's humbling and faith-producing.

So instead of celebrating with new home ownership this weekend, we're looking at extending our lease and realistically thinking it may be fall before we find a home.  Everybody and their brother is out looking for a home at the moment, so they can move before the next school year starts in August.  Sellers are getting their asking prices or more, and the competition is fierce.  Homes are going off the market in just one day.  I said all along that I wasn't interested in getting caught up in that game, so I'm ok waiting it out for a few more months.  It's harder on DH though.  He really doesn't consider this place home at all, not even a temporary home.  He's so intent on settling down that this renting has been hard for him.

And yet through this whole process, I know God is teaching both of us to trust Him, turn to Him, and rely on Him to provide our needs.  That is reason to celebrate this weekend and enjoy all that He has given us!  I hope you're doing the same.

2 comments:

  1. Always so hard to do, but so worth it! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always interesting when things seem to be moving along in what we think is a perfect manner, and then it suddenly stops. The readjustment is definitely weird, but I'm glad you're finding some peace in all of this.

    ReplyDelete