This past weekend we decided to walk away...from the house DH loved in the neighborhood I adored. We spent lots of time discussing and praying about what to do after our findings from the home inspection. The sellers were offering a home warranty on the house for a year as some of you suggested, but even that didn't settle our uneasiness about what we were getting into. DH said it felt like the house was a money pit, and that explained my sentiments exactly.
We were in the process of trying to write up negotiations with our realtor, and DH and I just decided to terminate the contract (we were still in the due-diligence period). We wanted to have them complete several of the repairs and drop the price significantly. Our realtor didn't think they would do that since they had received other full price offers, so we just decided to walk because really, we were no longer that excited about the house anymore.
We both had a peace about walking away even though it meant losing some money from the inspections and even though we really want to find a home and start settling down here. I feel bad for the sellers and wish we never would have put an offer on, but they already have the house back up on the market and DH and I learned quite a bit from the process. He and I are more unified in our house hunting going forward and have a better idea of what we can and should be looking at in homes.
Walking away I had peace, but I also had disappointment. I was already imagining us living in the home. Those hopes and dreams were dashed and I'm left wondering about the timing God has with those whole house searching process. I trust He will show us the way, but I get anxious and want Him to hurry up! I worry that home prices are going up- 20% since we started looking 5 months ago. We had locked into an awesome mortgage rate, so I worry about what that will be when we finally do find something to buy. And yet I realize it is all out of my hands. I have no control, so the only thing I can do is trust God to provide....provide wisdom, patience, guidance, direction, and ultimately a home. Gee...that sounds so familiar from other times in my life!
I don't believe it's a coincidence that the verse I chose to memorize May 1st, as part of my yearlong Scripture memorization challenge, was Psalm 31:14- "But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, "You are my God." The circumstances under which I chose the verse were very different, but it's exactly what I need to be meditating on right now. God is good. He knows what we need even before we do. Love that.
I heard this song on the radio yesterday, and it was as if God was speaking directly to me through the words. Don't you love when He does that?
It's a new song from Sidewalk Prophets. Here are a few lines that struck me, but really the whole song is great. You should listen to it!
I don't know where to go from here, it all used to seem to clear, I'm finding I can't do this on my own
I will trust in You. You've never failed before.
If there's a road I should walk, help me find it.
If I need to be still, give me peace for the moment.
Whatever your will...help me find it.
We were in the process of trying to write up negotiations with our realtor, and DH and I just decided to terminate the contract (we were still in the due-diligence period). We wanted to have them complete several of the repairs and drop the price significantly. Our realtor didn't think they would do that since they had received other full price offers, so we just decided to walk because really, we were no longer that excited about the house anymore.
We both had a peace about walking away even though it meant losing some money from the inspections and even though we really want to find a home and start settling down here. I feel bad for the sellers and wish we never would have put an offer on, but they already have the house back up on the market and DH and I learned quite a bit from the process. He and I are more unified in our house hunting going forward and have a better idea of what we can and should be looking at in homes.
Walking away I had peace, but I also had disappointment. I was already imagining us living in the home. Those hopes and dreams were dashed and I'm left wondering about the timing God has with those whole house searching process. I trust He will show us the way, but I get anxious and want Him to hurry up! I worry that home prices are going up- 20% since we started looking 5 months ago. We had locked into an awesome mortgage rate, so I worry about what that will be when we finally do find something to buy. And yet I realize it is all out of my hands. I have no control, so the only thing I can do is trust God to provide....provide wisdom, patience, guidance, direction, and ultimately a home. Gee...that sounds so familiar from other times in my life!
I don't believe it's a coincidence that the verse I chose to memorize May 1st, as part of my yearlong Scripture memorization challenge, was Psalm 31:14- "But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, "You are my God." The circumstances under which I chose the verse were very different, but it's exactly what I need to be meditating on right now. God is good. He knows what we need even before we do. Love that.
I heard this song on the radio yesterday, and it was as if God was speaking directly to me through the words. Don't you love when He does that?
It's a new song from Sidewalk Prophets. Here are a few lines that struck me, but really the whole song is great. You should listen to it!
I don't know where to go from here, it all used to seem to clear, I'm finding I can't do this on my own
I will trust in You. You've never failed before.
If there's a road I should walk, help me find it.
If I need to be still, give me peace for the moment.
Whatever your will...help me find it.
I am glad you're both at peace with the choice to walk away. Our house also has a one year warranty. But BOTH things that needed replacing weren't covered under the warranty, obviously. I'll keep praying for you on this house hunt.
ReplyDeleteUgh! So frustrating. That's exactly what I was worried about even if we got a warranty.
DeleteProbably made the best decision. The right house will definitely came along. It will just take a little more time.
ReplyDeleteYes. True, true
DeleteI'm bummed that the house didn't work out for you. Hopefully you'll find one you love soon that's not a money pit. :)
ReplyDeleteMe too!
DeleteIt took Dh and I nearly two years to find the house we were meant to be in...and still then- I struggled so much. I am so glad you went to prayer and were lead to walk! Such a brave decision..many would have went w/impulsivity and bought! Yes, the right one will definitely come along, I am glad to here that you both are unified...DH and I nearly killed each other during the hunt. SO much compromising on such a HUGE decision. Praying for ya C!!
ReplyDelete2 years?!? Ahh. Well, we've nearly killed each other while looking. We'll see what happens as we start looking again.
DeleteI'm sorry you had to walk away. That is tough, but sounds like you made the best decision. House hunting is HARD! It is hard to find the perfect house, hard to negotiate, just hard, hard, hard! I will pray that God shows you the perfect house for your family. Patience is hard to come by for me, too.
ReplyDeleteHard and so all-consuming of energy, time, etc.
Delete