Friday, September 6, 2013

Quick Takes (40): Moving, Mustiness, Pierogies, and Strep




Ummm...so is it pathetic to admit I actually started this Quick Takes post for last Friday?!?  Oh man.  I've had a severe case of the blahs lately.  Not sure what is going on.

--- 1 ---
All moved! Woo hoo. This seems sort of a given now since my last post was weeks ago, but we made the final moving load, cleaned the rental home, and turned in keys all in the same day.  That meant we were out of the rental one day earlier than we had planned thanks to some motivated friends getting us out ASAP.

--- 2 ---

Musty smell. Pee yoo! We moved just in time because I hadn't realized how stinky that place was.  All of our clothes that were hanging in the closet there reek of that musty smell.  I sort of flipped out once we had moved out and I realized that.  Does that mean we went around smelling musty for 7 months?!?  I knew our bedroom was musty and ran a dehumidifier to help with that, but our sheets, pillows, blankets, towels, and clothes all stink!  I've been in the process of washing everything to get rid of the smell.  I still have some clothes left to do and we threw away a few pillows because they were horrible.  Man...our sinuses are surely rejoicing now.

--- 3 ---
Settling in. Yee haw! Our house just feels so right for us.  The neighborhood is great and the neighbors we have met have been so friendly and welcoming.  People are active in this community, which we like, because someone is always out walking or running.  It is so much quieter than our rental house and just feels so peaceful and safe.  Remember how paranoid I was at the rental?  Yeah, not so much here.  We're getting settled "one box at a time" we say.

--- 4 ---
Polish festival. Yum oo!  Went to a polish festival at a local parish recently and it was so much fun to celebrate my Polish heritage.  I had the best pierogies ever.  Seriously, these were the fattest, yummiest pierogies made by volunteers from the church.  They had cabbage rolls, polish beer, baked goods, authentic music, dancing, and costumes, and more!  And I couldn't get over all the Polish people of all ages were speaking.  My grandma would have loved it!  I found out later they have a Polish-speaking mass there each week.  Who know there was such a Polish population here?  Definitely going back to the festival next year.  R even loved pierogi!

--- 5 ---
Strep throat. Boo hoo!  I was seriously down for the count for days with strep throat being the victor.  Even after I got on meds, my throat was still painfully raw for 4. more. days.  Oh my gosh.  I haven't been that sick in a long long time.  Not fun.  Not fun at all.  Hoping the meds kicked it and I don't need a 2nd round of them.  I've only been off meds for 3 days.  Thankfully, neither DH or R got sick, so at least that was good.  And there is a cool story about our God-daughter that came out of it, but I'll have to type that up in a non-Quick Takes post!

--- 6 ---
TV addict. Oh no!  We've done a pretty good job (in my opinion) of not letting R watch much or any TV.  I've read about not allowing screen time for kids under 2, and I've tried to follow this except for now, all of a sudden, she loves it.  She turns it on herself and loves watching Curious George.  She'll watch an entire show, and then she gets mad when it's over and the monkey isn't on anymore.  Any time we are in the same room as the TV, she wants to have it on.  Heck, any time we're on the main level, she makes her way into the TV room to turn it on.  I'm about ready to move the TV to our bedroom or the garage because I don't know what else to try.  Any advice?

--- 7 ---
Missing there. Boo hoo!  I've had a serious case of missing the previous area we lived in.  I've been missing the start of the semester, the campus buzzing with students around, my teaching job, friends, our church there, etc.  It's been really, really hard lately and I'm not sure why.  I mean, I should be all excited because we just moved into the home, and instead I'm again realizing how final our move feels.  We are here, in this place, indefinitely.  That means no white Christmases for R growing up, no 4 seasons like I am used to, etc.  Blech.  I know it's still adjustment.  And adjustment takes time.  And I'm not one big on change, so adjustment takes even longer with me.  Still, I'd like to figure out how to cultivate more of a spirit of gratitude and joy inside rather than all the yuckiness that goes on in my head.  I'll also take suggestions on gratitude and joy as well!

And with that, have a great weekend!

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

3 comments:

  1. I'm Polish too! I bet you're in a similar area where my grandparents lived. We used to go to Polish midnight mass for Christmas.

    And I don't know what it is about Monkeys but C is OBSESSED.

    Glad you're all moved, getting settled and de-musty-smelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting officially moved and continuing to settle in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad y'all are all moved! How awful to have to deal with a musty smell on top of the stresses of moving though!!! :/

    ReplyDelete