Friday, June 20, 2014

Quick Takes (44): A Random Collection of Updates



After 4 days of swim lessons, I'm officially going to call them a bust.  What started out with such great intentions (getting R better acclimated and more comfortable in the pool) and such joy on Day 1, quickly went downhill on Day 2.  R loves the water, so DH and I thought it would be good to get her in some lessons before swimming a lot at our neighborhood pool.  He agreed to do the lessons with her, and I agreed to go along and take pictures and video:-)  Day 2 was "Submerge" day, where all the parents were supposed to dunk their kids to get them familiar with the water (I guess).  It didn't go so well.  She wasn't happy with that, took on some water, and ended up throwing up in the pool which caused a full pool immediate evacuation.  Since then, she's not been super interested getting back in the pool (I don't blame her).  Wish we would have stuck with our instincts and not followed the teacher's instructions.  Now we've got to build up her trust again, and we have 4 more days of class left next week.  Not sure what will come of that.  Ugh.

10 full lawn and leaf bags later, our azalea bushes are finally trimmed.  Yes, we do have a ton of bushes, but they were also pretty bad.  Finally just paid somebody to do it because neither of us has had time to do it.  They sure look nice now!  And much more manageable to keep up with.

Operation house update/get the house ready before Baby comes continues in full swing this summer.  Next up- new low-flow toilets (our county offers $100 rebates for 2!) and programmable thermostats.  Can't believe our 28 year old house still has the old school, turn style thermostats in them!  Will be nice to get those puppies replaced.  Yes, we have 2 thermostats for our 2 air conditioners and 2 furnaces. Still seems so funny to me since our house is only 2,000 square feet.  Such is life in the South.

Busy bags are going to be keeping me busy!  I'm getting ready to participate in my 1st swap, while at the same time organizing another one for local moms.  Should be fun.  I've got 2 different ideas I'm working on, and I can't wait to get all the bags from everyone and have lots of new activities for R this fall.  Perfect timing.

We've entered the time of year where our air conditioners could practically run all day long.  We don't run them that much, but we certainly could to keep cool/feel comfortable.  I'm so missing those mountain nights where the temps could be 80s and 90s during the day, but then 50s overnight.  It was wonderful to open up windows overnight, cool down the house, and not have to run the A/C much the next day.  One of my favorite parts of summer in the West.  Hoping we only have 10 more weeks left of this yucky summer heat.  I seem to remember September being cooler last year.

DH and I just completed our 1st 6 week round of exercising 3 times a week and eating 5 servings of fruits and vegetables 5 times a week.  It doesn't sound like much, but it's always good for us to keep track, and our health insurance offers cash incentives for doing various things like this, so we keep doing them.  The fruits and veggies are usually easier than the exercise for me (see weather point above).  It's so blasted hot all day long, it's hard to get out and walk.  We try to exercise at the pool, walking inside the mall, or chasing her around at a Gymboree class (one month Groupon....love it!), but sadly, I still struggle. I definitely need more exercise as I'm packing on the pounds, but it's so much easier to just sit inside in the cool during the day.

Finally, two good progesterone draws in a row!  High Zone 2 (1 point away from zone 3 actually...I've never seen zone 3 in a pregnancy before), so decreasing the shots for a few times.  Yippee.  But it probably means my numbers will go down and I'll be increasing the shots again in 2 weeks. Oh well. I will gladly welcome a small break because I'm pretty sure DH hit a blood vessel last week as I've got an ugly, nasty, sore bruised area that doesn't seem to be healing very quickly.  Yuck.  No shots on that side for quite awhile.  Just hoping it heals and doesn't become something icky.  Sorry to end on that note.  Enjoy the weekend!

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

5 comments:

  1. Poor R and the pool. Would it be possible to take her to the pool not for a class before next week and just let her have fun? I am glad you're in the busy bag swap! I have a couple that I am planning to make just on my own that would be to expensive to make a lot of, C really seems to respond to them! I am sure R will as well! Plus they'll be good when the baby comes. (for both our kiddos!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love #6!!! Go you! That is awesome!!! I think the more you do it - the more you crave it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for exercise and healthier eating! That's great! I'm trying really hard to aim for healthy eating now too, but exercise has fallen by the wayside. Oh well! Baby steps! Also, yay for high progesterone!! And growing a healthy baby. :)

    Sorry about R's swim class. Yikes! I kinda get why they make you dunk them, but they should make it optional, especially because the parents know their kids best. Poor R! Hopefully she'll forget and be excited for water time again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also become much more lazy when it's hot and humid out. It can get pretty hot here in town, but I am thankful to be able to head for the hills and cool down a bit. Though we were sweating like pigs out in it yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it makes you feel any better, I don't think C is ready for swim lessons either...and she goes to water therapy twice a month. She really doesn't like getting her head/hair wet, so (like most things with her) I'm thinking it'll work better if I follow her cues and let her do it when she's ready. R has plenty of time!! She will warm up to it eventually. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

    ReplyDelete