Before we got off the phone, she shared a prayer request with me that has been on my mind ever since. It's not my place to go into details, but I can share some of the hope that I've come across the past few days. I know there are alot of people that are really hurting. IF does that to us and at times we seem to lose sight of hope, but I have seen hope in reading, Scripture, and music.
I came across this great quote in my women's devotional book the other day. It's by Barbara Johnson- someone I'm not familiar with- but I thought it was incredible. She said, "Hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark."
Wow! That was so profound. It really hit me. There are so many times in life when we are in a really dark place. It takes all our energy and faith to just hold out our hand- to hope that we will come out of the dark, to hope that God will life us up, to hope that the light will one day shine again. And so I guess that's one piece of encouragement to me when I'm in the really dark places- just hold out my hand in faith. God will lift me up. That is hope.
Another thing that keeps running through my mind is from Romans 5:1-5 (NIV). Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.
I love that. Hope does not disappoint us. So we hold out our hand of faith in the dark because we have hope that things will improve, and hope doesn't let us down.
The last thing that has been giving me hope is Christian music. There have been so many songs lately that have been speaking to me. My ipod is becoming full of great songs that speak of healing, waiting, hope, and more. Recently, I heard a song by Laura Story called "Blessings." Here's some of the words. I think they'll speak to you too.
We pray for blessings
We pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for your mighty hand to ease our suffering
All the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love us way too much to give us lesser things
Chorus: 'Cause what if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You're near
What if trials of life are Your mercies in disguise
We pray for wisdom
Your voice to hear
And we cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt Your goodness, we doubt Your love
As if every promise from Your Word is not enough
All the while, You hear each desperate plea
And long that we'd have faith to believe
Chorus
When friends betray us
When darkness seems to win
We know the pain reminds this heart
That this is not, this is not our home,
It's not our home
What if your healing comes through tears
And what if a thousand sleep nights
Are what it takes to know You're near
What if my greatest disappoinments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can't satisfy
And what if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are your mercies in disguise
If you haven't heard the song, I encourage you to check it out. Keep the faith ladies, even when the trial is so dark it seems there is no hope!
I love Christian radio station but I haven't heard that one yet.
ReplyDeleteYes, M is soooo awesome to talk to, such great friends we meet online, huh :)
I actually named my blog after a Romans verse..."Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, persevere in prayer." Romans 12:12. I felt like that verse spoke volumes about sub/infertility.
ReplyDeleteSo cool that you got to speak with M! :)
You were a delight to talk to, I hope we can do it again soon! Thank you for your beautiful reflection on hope and for putting the lyrics to that son, they are beautiful and very much needed. Oh, and my DH was skeptical in the beginning of me meeting other bloggers, but now I think he is kind of used to it, some of them are some of my closest friends!
ReplyDeleteThis song is so perfect!!! You can read it just like a prayer. I love it!
ReplyDeleteI've never heard that song-but I'll definitely check it out!
ReplyDeleteOh! I just heard that song on the radio a few days ago for the first time and it really spoke to me as well. Thank you for sharing!! And, thank you for sharing your thoughts on hope. I needed them!
ReplyDelete