I just got my test results back from the food sensitivity test I did two weeks ago. 96 areas were tested, and while I'm waiting for my doctor to mail me all of the exact results, he did say I had no foods with high levels of IgE (immediate allergic reaction), but I did have several foods with high levels of IgG (delayed reaction). Those foods are milk and all dairy products tested (including goat milk, casein, whey, cheese, cow's milk, yogurt), chicken eggs, almonds, and wheat. I also had moderate levels of reaction to peanuts and sugar cane.
Help me out, dear friends. What does all this mean?? Could the food sensitivities be the cause of my fatigue? Infertility? Miscarriages?
My doctor suggests eliminating all of these from my diet for a few weeks and seeing how I feel. I also have PCOS (but am not insulin-resistant), which means I try to stay away from foods high on the glycemic index. Am I going to be able to eat anything besides vegetables and meat? Is wheat the same thing as gluten? I'm also having a celiac panel test done tomorrow, so we'll see if I'm gluten-sensitive.
That's quite a list of foods. :( I don't remember where, but somewhere I read that women with multiple food intolerances are at higher risk of miscarriage. I think the theory is that with allergies/intolerances, the immune system is hyperactive so it would be more likely to attack sperm or an embryo (because they're "foreign"). So maybe this is a piece of your puzzle?
ReplyDeleteMy list is really similar to yours except for eggs and sugar. Hopefully you can eat more than just vegetables and meat. :) I eat a lot of rice, millet, and quinoa. I'm not sure how they rank on the GI though.
Wheat contains gluten, but there are other grains that contain gluten like barley and rye.
I can't wait to hear how you feel after making these diet changes! I am hopeful for you! :)
Sounds like my diet, although I also can't have walnuts and fish.
ReplyDeleteI've had food allergies my whole life, but gluten is the newest one that I have discovered. I know that food allergies cause inflammation and that can wreak havoc on your organs and body systems. I also remember that when I ate gluten it made my endo hurt worse.
I think that I need to do a diet post soon! Stay tuned!
I don't know much about food intolerances, but I have read some books on gluten-free diets and I did it for about 5-6 weeks last fall and felt great. It is doable. However, I slacked off when I traveled abroad for work and I haven't been able to get back to it. (I saw that as I hang my head in shame at eating a donut this morning....ugh). Anyway, I am glad you are starting to get some answers. Keep us posted on what the doctor says.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your encouraging words, ladies! I appreciate it. I do hope this is a piece of my puzzle- both fertility wise and overall health wise. I'd love to hear more eating tips, so blog away, Jelly Belly.
ReplyDeletei need your email :) you wont feel deprived i promise and you will be less hungry :)
ReplyDeleteleaky gut info http://www.gapsdiet.com/INTRODUCTION_DIET.html
Sew- I posted my email on your blog. Can't wait to hear what you have to say! You're the one that got me to pursue the Cortisol saliva test with your- "adrenals run the thyroid and the thyroid runs the hormones" comment. Now I've shared that with others. Who knows what will come of this leaky gut/food sensitivity testing!
ReplyDeleteWow, 96 areas?!? I know gluten is connected to infertility - I am intolerant of that. I think I read that it can also lead to miscarriage - so hopefully you'll get the celiac results back soon. Of course, having a gluten allergy or sensitivity isn't the same as actually having celiac. There's a distinction. And I'm not sure that a wheat sensitivity/allergy is the same as gluten. Maybe someone else knows! Can you eat fruit? I satisfy a lot of my sweet cravings with that. Maybe you can try rice milk? Hoping that this leads to good results!
ReplyDeleteGood questions, Isaiah. I have some of the same ones, so I'm putting them in my next post! Yes, fruits are good and I've been putting them on my oatmeal to add sweetness. I'll have to check out rice milk as well. Thanks for the advice!
ReplyDelete