Friday, September 9, 2011

Quick Takes (8)

1. I started another sewing class this week at the Technical College.  This will be the 3rd sewing class I've taken this year.  You'd think I'd be an expert by now, but I still can barely operate my sewing machine on my own.  I'm making a baby quilt for my brother and sister-in-law.  When I first saw the class advertised, I wasn't going to sign up because I was still so angry and jealous that they were pregnant before me.  Over the summer, however, I thought about it and decided it would be my labor of love for them.  That as I made the quilt, I could pray for them, their marriage, and their baby, and perhaps in the process, my heart would be softened a little bit. 

There's a whole new twist now that I'm pregnant, but I still consider the quilt my labor of love.  Their colors for the nursery are light yellow, sage, and brown, so I'm hoping this flannel fabric I picked out matches.  At our first class on Tuesday we cut out 162 squares of material!  Now I have homework to piece some of the squares together with a piece of batting in the middle (I'm hoping to do 40 this weekend).  At our next class, we'll begin sewing the squares together and then we finish after that.  Only a 3 week class.  Think I can finish it all in the time frame?  We'll see.  Here are the squares I cut out and my cute bag from Joanne's that I needed to hold all my material in.


2. Fall nights and days- I love them.  We've been in the low 80s during the day and low 50s over night.  Beautiful weather!

3. I'm thinking it's time to start pulling out the fall decorations for our home.  Another fun project for the weekend.

4. I just reached Gold Level at Starbucks.  Perfect timing, huh?  Looks like DH gets to be the one to reap my free benefits.

5. Our gas prices are going up in town.  What is up with that?  We're 3.59 a gallon right now.  I thought the prices were supposed to be going down?  Not happy with that.

6. No Fantasy Football.  This will be the first time in 4 years that I haven't played Fantasy Football with my husband.  He always sets up a league with the college kids from church and I get so competitive with my team.  We would even come home from church on Sundays and have to watch the NFL games to see how my various players would do.  This year the interest doesn't seem to quite be there and that's fine with me because I would get stressed out about which players to play and which to keep on my bench.  Less stress is better for me right now.  Still, I'll miss the excitement of cheering for my players.

7. We picked up 5 farm fresh chickens today.  4 went straight into our deep freezer and the other is in our fridge waiting to be cooked this weekend.  We have one more month of pick-ups to complete our 6-month chicken share.  It's been a lot of fun and the meat has been so much healthier and fresher.  The verdict is still out, however, if we'll participate next year (it is a little pricey).

Have a great weekend.  Head on over to Jen's for more Quick Takes.

3 comments:

  1. Sewing is a great activity when you are pregnant. I hope you have time to make your little one a quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're making a raggedy, or "frayed" quilt. They're fun, quick quilts to do. The colors you picked are beautiful! I can't wait to see a picture of the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, Be Not Afraid. Yes, Donna, you're correct. It is a rag type quilt. It's my first quilt. I'm just following my teacher's directions!

    ReplyDelete